Italy: Libyan bomber ‘prayed with us’ says Muslim leader

After surviving the blast the bomber shouted “Help me, Help me” says witness

Milan, 12 October (AKI) – The Libyan who detonated a bomb at the ‘Santa Barbara’ military barracks on Monday, Mohammed Game, prayed at Milan’s Viale Jenner Mosque, said the head of the Islamic Institute in Milan. “He is a Libyan who hung out everywhere and who even prayed with us, just like thousands of others do, but we did not know him very well,” said the institute’s president Abdel Hamid Shaari in an interview with Adnkronos.

“He prayed and then he left. He wouldn’t stay around,” said Shaari. He added that Game was last seen at the mosque over 20 days ago, towards the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan.

On Monday, an Italian soldier was injured after 35-year-old Game exploded a bomb hidden inside a toolbox at the entrance of the ‘Santa Barbara’ barracks (photo). The man is said to have entered the courtyard of the barracks on foot, where he was confronted by a military guard.

He then detonated the rudimentary explosives, which were reportedly made of solid nitrate.

The toolbox where the man hid the explosive device contained two more kilogrammes of explosives, and according to reports, it only partially detonated.

Authorities have said if the entire load had detonated, there would definitely have been deaths.

Early reports said the man shouted: “The army must leave Afghanistan!” which according to authorities is not true.

“After the blast, the man did say something, but according to witnesses his words were unintelligible as they were all in Arabic,” said public prosecutor Armando Spataro.

“He had a dark coloured jacket and his face was bloody. He shouted: Help me, Help me!” said a witness, Giovanni L, a sergeant major.

According to the witness, when Game was being taken to the hospital he “pointed a finger towards the sky, like a victory sign.”

Game, had been living in Italy for many years and lived with an Italian woman with whom they have three children. A train ticket from the southern city of Naples to Milan was found to be in his possession, although it is still unclear if and when he took the train and for which reason.

Italian authorities said Game lived close to the barracks and that he slept at his apartment in Milan the night before the attack.

The injured Italian soldier was hit by shards of glass and received medical treatment at the scene of the attack which took place at 7.45 am local time.

Following the attack, Game was taken to the Fatebenefratelli hospital in Milan where he was reported to be in critical condition.

The Libyan man suffered severe injuries to his face and eyesight and his hand has been amputated, according to medical sources at Fatebenefratelli hospital.

Gadhafi has cancelled visit to Canada: report

Calgary Herald… Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has cancelled a planned visit to Canada next week.

 Officials confirmed Saturday that Gadhafi had scrapped plans to land in Newfoundland this Tuesday to refuel his plane.

 One report said hotel reservations for the leader had been cancelled and his advance team had left.

 The planned visit had caused a stir in Canada, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper ordering Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon to greet the despot upon his arrival to express this country’s outrage over the reception Libya recently gave to the newly released Lockerbie bomber.

 Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, an alleged former Libyan intelligence officer, was treated as a hero upon his arrival in Libya after Scotland released him on compassionate grounds because he is terminally ill with cancer.

Libya Reportedly Paid for Evidence That Led to Lockerbie Bomber’s Release

Megrahi, heros welcome

Megrahi, heros welcome

 FOX NEWS… Medical evidence that led to the release of the Lockerbie bomber was reportedly paid for by the Libyan government, which encouraged doctors to say he only had three months to live.

The life expectancy of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi was crucial, The Sunday Telegraph reported, because Scottish law mandates that prisoners can be freed on compassionate grounds only if they are considered to have three months or less to live.

Al-Megrahi, 57, is suffering from terminal prostate cancer and was released by Scottish officials last month. He was the lone person convicted in the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland. The attack killed 259 people aboard the plane, most of them American, and 11 on the ground.

Two of the three doctors commissioned by the Libyans provided the required three-month estimates, The Sunday Telegraph reports, while the third also indicated that the prisoner had a short time to live. That’s in contrast with findings of doctors in June and July who had concluded that al-Megrahi had up to 10 months to live, which would have blocked his release.

“The figure of three months was suggested as being helpful [by the Libyans],” Professor Karol Sikora, one of the examining doctors and the medical director of CancerPartnersUK in London, told The Sunday Telegraph. “To start with I said it was impossible to do that [give a three-month life expectancy estimate] but, when I looked at it, it looked as though it could be done — you could actually say that.”

Libya’s jihadis reject violence as leader bids for acceptance

“We promise to be good. Heres 420 pages of how good we promise to be.”

Arab cartoon Guardian… Libyan Islamist fighters who once tried to assassinate Muammar Gadaffi are about to publicly spurn violence in a move that is intended to weaken al-Qaida by undermining the religious rationale for waging jihad against Muslim regimes and killing innocent civilians.

Behind bars in Tripoli’s Abusalim prison the top leaders of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group have written a 420-page book which Arab and western governments hope will strike a new blow in the ideological war against Osama bin Laden.

The move is doubly significant because Libyans have long played a key role in al-Qaida. The brother of one key bin Laden aide and Islamic scholar, Abu Yahya al-Libi, is one of the authors of the LIFG recantation document, entitled Corrective Studies in Understanding Jihad. Continue Reading →

Gaddafi warned over New York trip

Heres a better idea Ms. Rice. Tell him to stay home.

Susan Rice said his visit to the UN General Assembly later this month had the potential to inflame US emotions.

Col Gaddafi is due to make his first visit to the UN General Assembly

Col Gaddafi is due to make his first visit to the UN General Assembly

 BBC NEWS… The US ambassador to the UN has warned Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi to be careful how he conducts himself on his forthcoming trip to New York.

The Libyan welcome given to the man convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing has caused widespread anger.

The Scottish and UK governments are also under fire over the release of the dying bomber on compassionate grounds.

Senior US Senator Frank Lautenberg has called for a Congressional hearing into whether the release of Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi was influenced by the prospect of a lucrative oil contract.

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Wednesday insisted no deals were done over Megrahi, and said his release was a matter for the Scottish government.

Mr Brown did not refer to reports that Libyan officials were told by UK government officials that he did not want to see Megrahi die in prison.

Also on Wednesday, the Scottish parliament voted to reject the Scottish government’s decision to release Megrahi.

Megrahi was freed last month, eight years into a life sentence imposed for his part in the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie in December 1988, killing 270 people.

Suffering from terminal cancer, Megrahi has had chemotherapy and is now in a cancer ward at a hospital in Tripoli, the BBC understands. Continue Reading →