INDIAN police say they have arrested two men for planning to attack a fuel facility and a shopping centre in Mumbai, where Pakistani gunmen killed 166 people 15 months ago.
Mumbai’s anti-terrorism police chief, K.P. Raghuvansh, told reporters that the two men were Indian and had taken orders from inside Pakistan.
They intended to target a fuel storage complex owned by state-run energy firm Oil and Natural Gas as well as a popular shopping arcade, he said.
“These two have been in constant touch with their handlers sitting across the border in Pakistan, who want to do something in India,” he said.
“When we thought they were planning to act, we arrested them.”
India has blamed the Pakistan-based Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba for the November 2008 attacks on luxury hotels, a restaurant and a cultural centre in Mumbai.
Nine of the ten people who carried out the attacks died as security forces fought to regain control of the city.
The sole surviving gunman, who is currently on trial, has said he is a Pakistani national.
The Press Trust of India news agency named the two men arrested late on Saturday as Abdul Latif Rashid, 29, and Riyaz Ali, 23.
Last month 11 people were killed in a blast at a restaurant in the city of Pune, near Mumbai.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility.