- One man from West Yorkshire and six from West Midlands are detained
- Arrests followed ‘routine stop’ of a vehicle on M1 last Saturday
- Car was impounded on suspicion of having no insurance
- ‘Firearms, offensive weapons and other material’ found hidden inside
- News of arrests comes day after six people, including white Muslim convert, were detained over alleged plan to carry out a major terrorist attack
PUBLISHED: 05:52 EST, 6 July 2012 | UPDATED: 07:55 EST, 6 July 2012
One man from West Yorkshire and six from the West Midlands are being questioned on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism following a series of arrests this week, police said today.
News of the arrests comes a day after six people, including a white Muslim convert, were detained over an alleged plan to carry out a major terrorist attack, possibly during the Olympics.
A West Midlands police spokesman said that officers found material including firearms following a routine stop on the M1 in South Yorkshire last weekend.