An original translation by Liberty Dk. with much thanks!
The Swedish Police Chief tells us that he will investigate, in depth, the violations that happened during the festival
Swedish police have landed in a political storm after a case has been opened of mass sexual assaults that occurred during a youth festival.
The scandal is unfolding right now in Sweden where it on Sunday was revealed that the police had, for two years, hidden a case of mass assaults on young girls. Assaults, there apparently had been committed during the popular youth festival ‘We are Stockholm’ in the Swedish capital.
The Swedish daily “Today’s News” (Dagens Nyheter) had come into possession of an internal police report that reported the case.
The issue is young men rubbing against the young girls in in the audience just as had happened previous years, it reads in an internal memo from August last year.
The case has also resulted in the response of the Swedish police chief Dan Eliasson.
He denies knowing about the matter before the case began to unfold in the Swedish media.
He further explains that they are taking the matter extremely seriously.
It is serious in many ways. We might have avoided several girls being violated had it come to light earlier. Secondly, it is not our job to take possible political views into considerations. We have to be consistent in our public communications, the police chief says when asked whether the case is serious.
Investigating the matter fully
The Chief of Police is also asked whether he is worried that something similar has happened elsewhere.
No I am not. I would be very surprised if this is a widespread phenomenon. I would also be very disappointed. But we need to investigate this thoroughly and see what happens, says Dan Eliassson.
50 young men and boys are suspected of being behind the attacks, and in the report one can read that the perpetrators are suspected to be refugee youths mainly from Afghanistan. The young men were also stealing mobile phones from the girls while they were violating them.
An anonymous policeman from Stockholm police says to Dagens Nyheter that some of the younger girls were only 11-12 years old.
I would never have let my daughter go to the festival, if I had known what had happened, he says to Dagens Nyheter.
2014 reached new heights
Stockholm city event manager Roger Ticoalu said to the Swedish media “Expressen”, that sexual assaults have always taken place at the festival but that it reached new heights in 2014.
I call it a disastrous phenomenon that we in Sweden could not have been prepared for, like many other things in the past year, he says.
A sore point
Dagens Nyheter also confronted local police, who explained that they failed to disclose the information because of political considerations.
It is a sore point. Sometimes we don’t dare say anything for fear that it would play into the hands of the Swedish Democrats. We must take care of this issue in the police, says Peter Agren, Södermalm Police Chief, to Dagens Nyheter.
The case appears not long after mass sexual assaults in the German city of Cologne, where over 500 women have reported being sexually assaulted and accosted by a large number of men Year’s Eve.