Reader’s Links for August 20, 2020

Each day at just after midnight Eastern, a post like this one is created for contributors and readers of this site to upload news links and video links on the issues that concern this site. Most notably, Islam and its effects on Classical Civilization, and various forms of leftism from Soviet era communism, to postmodernism and all the flavours of galloping statism and totalitarianism such as Nazism and Fascism which are increasingly snuffing out the classical liberalism which created our near, miraculous civilization the West has been building since the time of Socrates.

This document was written around the time this site was created, for those who wish to understand what this site is about. And while our understanding of the world and events has grown since then, the basic ideas remain sound and true to the purpose.

So please post all links, thoughts and ideas that you feel will benefit the readers of this site to the comments under this post each day. And thank you all for your contributions.

This is the new Samizdat. We must use it while we can.

About Eeyore

Canadian artist and counter-jihad and freedom of speech activist as well as devout Schrödinger's catholic

98 Replies to “Reader’s Links for August 20, 2020”

  1. Turkey can fill Brexit gap in EU: Senior Turkish diplomat
    https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-can-fill-brexit-gap-in-eu-senior-turkish-diplomat-157543

    “The gap created by Brexit in the European Union can be filled by Turkey, a senior Turkish diplomat said on Aug. 19.

    Faruk Kaymakc?, Turkey’s deputy foreign minister and director for EU Affairs, said Brexit has impacted Turkey’s accession process negatively as the U.K. was supporting Ankara’s membership.

    Kaymakc?, addressing an online event, said Turkey’s accession to the EU is an important talking-point, but it does not seem negotiations will advance in the near future.

    On updating the customs union agreement and visa exemption for Turkish citizens, he said the current status is unfair.

    He went on to say fault lines began appearing in Turkey-EU relations on the issues of foreign policy and terrorism, especially in the Eastern Mediterranean, Syria and Libya.

    Moreover, he said, Greece’s aggression toward Turkey further complicates these delicate relations.”

  2. Turkey ‘neutralizes’ 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
    https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/turkey-neutralizes-4-pkk-terrorists-in-northern-iraq/1947734

    “Turkish forces on Thursday “neutralized” four PKK terrorists in northern Iraq, according to Turkey’s National Defense Ministry.

    The air-backed operation took place in the Gara and Avasin regions, the ministry said on Twitter.

    “Our operations will continue until the last terrorist is neutralized.”

    Turkish authorities use the word “neutralize” to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.

    PKK terrorists holed up in northern Iraq are known for planning a terrorist attack in Turkey.

    In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK — listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US, and the EU — has been responsible for the deaths of over 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants.”

  3. Two Moroccan migrants convicted of arson attack in Sweden won’t be deported
    https://rmx.news/article/article/two-moroccan-migrants-convicted-of-arson-attack-in-sweden-won-t-be-deported

    “Two Moroccan citizens were sentenced to several years in Swedish prison for arson after they set a restaurant on the first floor of a residential building on fire, but a Swedish court refused to deport them despite the prosecutor’s explicit request.

    The 23-year-old Moroccan Aissa Lyousri was sentenced by Skaraborg District Court to four and a half years in prison for a fire that was aimed at a barbecue restaurant in Mariestad. In the past, he has also committed a grenade attack on a restaurant in Gothenburg and was convicted of that crime as well.

    The previous grenade attack was carried out by the 23-year-old together with three other Arabs, one of whom is a refugee from Syria. No motive for the grenade attack was ever clarified nor was there any known connection between the assailants and the pizzeria and its owners.

    Even though the prosecutor Jacob Tunborg has demanded that both men would be deported from Sweden without a time limit, the court decided that they could stay in the country after serving their prison sentences, Fria Tider reported.

    “In an overall assessment, the district court finds that, despite the serious and repeated crime, there are no special reasons to deport Aissa Lyousri and the prosecutor’s request for deportation must, therefore, be dismissed,” the district court wrote in its judgment.

    The reason behind this decision is that Aissa Lyousri has lived in Sweden for a long time, and has two children with a woman in the country.

    A 28-year-old Moroccan, who was sentenced to four years in prison for the arson attack, may also remain in the country after serving his sentence. He came to Sweden as an immigrant in 2016, has a wife and children in Sweden, and has not been convicted of any serious crime in Sweden apart from this fire.

    The grill restaurant that the men set on fire was on the first floor of a residential building. No people were injured in the attack, but an 85-year-old woman was rescued by firefighters who was trapped in the fire. Thanks to the fire brigade’s quick intervention, the fire was put out and no one was seriously injured, however, a cat that inhaled the smoke had to be put down due to the fire.

    The 47-year-old Kurdish owner of the restaurant himself was also sentenced to four years in prison for inciting the arson, which is suspected to be an attempt for insurance fraud. He came to Sweden from Iraq in 2007 and became a Swedish citizen in 2013. Therefore, he also cannot be deported.

    “I have not decided whether I should appeal against the verdict yet,“ said prosecutor Jacob Tunborg.”

  4. Italy: Shocking rape cases involving migrants leads League party politicians to call for ‘chemical castration’
    https://rmx.news/article/article/italy-shocking-rape-cases-involving-migrants-leads-league-party-politicians-to-call-for-chemical-castration

    “Italy has been hit with a wave of rape allegations involving migrants, including victims ranging from a 15-year-old girl to a 69-year-old woman, which has prompted politicians from Matteo Salvini’s League party to call for “chemical castration” for those who are convicted of such crimes.

    The high-profile sexual assaults comes at a time when Italy has already experienced a drastic 150 percent increase in illegal migrants arriving at the country’s coast. Seen as a major policy failure by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s left-wing government, the lax border controls along with the rape allegations could add fuel to anti-migration sentiment before regional elections on Sept. 20 and 21, potentially dealing the ruling government a severe electoral blow.

    Wave of rapes on Aug. 15 involving migrants
    On Aug. 15, a 15-year-old Italian girl was raped by two “unaccompanied minors” from on Lignano beach while a third migrant male watched on without stopping the crime. Two of the males were from Albania and the third was from Egypt.

    The League party governor of Friuli Venezia Giulia, Massimiliano Fedriga, referencing the case said, “The State must prove itself absolutely inflexible in the face of so much inhumanity and use extreme penalties to prevent similar episodes from repeating themselves in the future. For the crime of rape, I want to say it clearly: I am in favor of chemical castration.”

    Pierpaolo Roberti, the League party’s security councilor of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region, also echoed the sentiments of Giulia, saying, “More controls and stricter measures, up to chemical castration for those who commit crimes of a sexual nature, need to be considered.”

    Despite the shocking nature of the crime, it was only one of three rapes committed by migrants just on Aug. 15. On the same night as the 15-year-old’s ordeal, a 40-year-old woman said that she was kidnapped, beaten and raped by a Tunisian migrant in Venice.

    The woman said she was originally visiting the historical center of Venice with some friends when she met the Tunisian man, who convinced her to come to his home, which was an abandoned building in the Arsenal district. Once inside, she said he forcibly raped and beat her all night.

    The woman escaped from the man’s apartment completely naked where she then ran to a nearby bar and called the police.

    She was transported to a hospital where she was interviewed by the police who quickly located and arrested the Tunisian suspect, who is believed to have seized her clothing to prevent her from leaving his residence. The suspect is currently in Santa Maria Maggiore prison and awaiting trial.

    A third incident also occurred on Aug. 15, which saw police accusing a 21-year-old foreigner from Sierra Leone of raping a woman in her 20s in Rome. The young woman says went to his house with some friends but allegedly felt sick and asked to lay on his bed. After falling asleep, police say he sexually assaulted her. She managed to wriggle from his grasp and inform police who subsequently arrested him.

    More sexual crimes in just the last month
    On Aug. 8, shortly after 9:00 a.m., a 67-year-old woman was raped by a 28-year-old migrant while riding on a train from Rome to Avezzano. After the man forced himself on her, staff on the train were alerted by her screams. They managed to detain the suspect until police arrived. The 28-year-old migrant, who had lived in Italy for five years, was arrested for aggravated sexual assault.

    On July 26, a 57-year-old woman was jogging in La Spezia on the bicycle path located in Via dei Pioppi when a 32-year-old illegal migrant male from the African country of Gambia, who is in Italy illegally, attacked and raped the woman early that morning. During the struggle, the woman fell and fractured her ribs. People passing by managed to intervene and the man fled the scene. The victim was transported to the emergency room, and the police later apprehended the assailant.

    On July 15, a 32-year-old woman was raped while she was walking her dog in a public park in Milan by a 24-year-old illegal immigrant from Africa. Although she was raped in an area featuring many people, she was forced at knife point towards a deserted spot behind a school where he then committed the crime. The man has since been arrested and police say that DNA evidence has linked him to the crime.

    Rape cases may play role in upcoming regional elections
    The rapes involving foreigners are not isolated incidents either, as statistics from Italy’s interior minister’s office shows that 42 percent of all rapes in Italy are committed by migrants despite only being 8 percent of the Italian population.

    With Italy set to vote on Sept. 20 and Sept. 21 in regional elections across the country, migration may once again play an important role, especially after Conte’s government granted 600,000 illegal immigrants amnesty in May of this year, an action that Salvini called a “betrayal” of Italians.

    A Reuters article from 2017 highlighted how rape allegations involving foreigners were “fueling anti-immigrant sentiment”, making it a top political agenda, with the issue playing a role in launching Matteo Salvini’s League party to power in 2018, along with the fact that the lax border controls led to 600,000 migrants, mainly Africans, to enter the country over a period of four years. Reuters wrote:

    “There are too many of them. I will send quite a few home,” Matteo Salvini, the head of the rightist Northern League, wrote on Twitter this week after police said a Bangladeshi man had been arrested in Rome on suspicion of raping a Finnish au pair.

    The Rome case came two weeks after a young Polish tourist said she was gang raped by four Africans, three of them aged under 18, on a beach in the Adriatic resort of Rimini.

    The woman’s partner was badly beaten by the youths and a Peruvian transsexual said she was raped and assaulted by the same quartet later the same night.

    The leader of the gang was named as a Congolese asylum-seeker who had been allowed to stay in Italy on humanitarian grounds. The other three were Moroccan brothers aged 15 and 17, who were born in Italy, and a 16-year-old Nigerian.

    Even then, the disproportionate role of foreigners in regard to sexual crimes was producing big concerns in Italy.

    “Some 40 percent of rapes are being committed by foreigners who make up 8 percent of the population. You can’t sweep this under a carpet,” Deborah Bergamini, a lawmaker with Forza Italia, told Reuters. “The influx of migrants is having major consequences.””

  5. Iran unveils two new missiles named after military commanders Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi

    Iran has defied US calls to end its missile program and unveiled two new missiles named after Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who were killed in a strike by US forces in January.

    Pictures of the missiles were shown on state TV, which said they “will further strengthen Iran’s deterrence power”.

    “The surface-to-surface missile, called Martyr Qassem Soleimani, has a range of 1,400 kilometres and the cruise missile, called Martyr Abu Mahdi, has a range of over 1,000km,” said Iranian Defence Minister Amir Hatami.

    “Missiles, and particularly cruise missiles, are very important for us … the fact that we have increased the range from 300 to 1,000 in less than two years is a great achievement,” said Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.

    “Our military might and missile programmes are defensive.”

    […]

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-20/iran-unveils-new-missiles-named-for-military-general-slain-by-us/12580558

  6. President Trump goes out for pizza

    After his speech to supporters, President Trump visits a restaurant in Old Forge, Pennsylvania, a town about 15 minutes from Scranton.

  7. DAILY MAIL – Meghan Markle makes a political stand as she slams ‘voter suppression’ while urging women to vote for ‘the change we deserve’ – telling virtual summit: ‘If you are complacent, you’re complicit’

    The 38-year-old Duchess of Sussex took part in an online summit organized by When We All Vote, a non-profit founded by ‘her friend’ Michelle Obama

    She was the special guest at the event, which focuses on encouraging women to vote, while also educating them on the best way to use their vote and their voice

    Meghan opened the summit as a guest speaker, appearing live from the $14.65 million Montecito home she and Prince Harry just moved in to with son Archie

    The former Suits star modeled a simple black outfit and had her long hair styled in a low ponytail that was swept over one shoulder

    Her appearance at the voter summit comes just a week after she confirmed she will be voting in the 2020 Presidential Election

    Although Meghan did not state who she will be voting for, she made clear that she is not happy with the current administration, calling for ‘a change’

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8648093/Meghan-Markle-tells-female-voters-complacent-youre-complicit.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.