I think its time they stopped calling it, “Gay Paris”
I will not say my personal opinion of this issue at this time. But I don’t think that 300,000 people marching at one time in one city should go unreported.
- Police sprayed tear gas as protesters charged towards the Champs-Elysees
- The leader of the Christian Democrats collapsed when she was teargased
- Organisers say 1.5million people attended the protest opposing the bill
- The Senate will vote on the ‘marriage for everyone’ bill next month
- It would allow homosexual couples to get married and adopt children
PUBLISHED: 20:52 GMT, 24 March 2013 | UPDATED: 21:45 GMT, 24 March 2013
Paris riot police fought back crowds who pushed their way onto Paris’ landmark Champs-Elysees avenue today as part of a huge protest against a draft law allowing same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
Up to 300,000 people – conservative activists, children, retirees, priests – converged on the capital in a last-ditch bid to stop the bill, many bussed in from the French provinces.
The lower house of France’s parliament approved the ‘marriage for everyone’ bill last month with a large majority, and it’s facing a vote in the Senate next month.
Both houses are dominated by French President Francois Hollande’s Socialist Party and its allies.
Sustained protests led by opposition conservatives in this traditionally Catholic country have eroded support for the draft law in recent months, and organizers hope Sunday’s march will weigh on the Senate debate.