By Tom de Castella BBC News Magazine
“To let” advertisements that specify a particular race or religion are visible in newsagents windows in many areas of London. But are they breaking the law?
Today overt racial discrimination is both illegal and socially unacceptable.
But it is now possible to find advertisements seeking tenants for rented accommodation which specify race, or other characteristics, in a way which some experts believe breaks the law.
Newsagents in different areas of London carry adverts saying:
- “Double bedroom available… Asian only”
- “Double room to let Gujarati (Indian) only”
- Close to the station and bus stops (Filipino only)
- “Professional single lady or Sri Lanka professional couple”
- “House for rent… only Asian families”
And even on the Gumtree website you can find the occasional advert for flats in London and Birmingham specifying race.