1. Turkey detains soldiers in ‘Syria arms interception’ case
Arrest warrants were issued for 10 soldiers, of whom eight had been detained by Friday night, the official Anatolia news agency reported.
They have been accused of membership of a terrorist group, impeding the work of the government and espionage, it said. They should now appear in court to decide whether to remand them in custody ahead of trial.
The arrests are the latest in a string of detentions related to the stopping and searching of trucks in the southern provinces of Hatay and Adana near the Syrian border in January 2014 on suspicion of smuggling arms into Syria.
Documents circulated on the Internet claimed the seized trucks were Turkish National Intelligence Organisation (MIT) vehicles delivering weapons to Syrian Islamist rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad.
2. RAW: Residents of Ramadi flee the city as ISIS takes it over
3. Pakistan protestors burn flags and scream things over the creation of the state of Israel.
(Interestingly the state of Pakistan was created under the exact conditions that people who do not like Israel claim it was created under. Oddly no one protests that)
4. Bill Mahar hosts Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The summit took place days after the Vatican said it was willing to sign its first treaty with “Palestine,” an expression of the Holy See’s declared policy of recognizing Palestinian statehood in defiance of Israeli objections.
Abbas and the pope met privately for 20 minutes, according to the report. AFP quotes a statement released by the Holy See calling for a resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
“The hope was expressed that direct negotiations between the parties be resumed in order to find a just and lasting solution to the conflict,” the statement read.
6. It would appear the IS is taking territory here
SOHR received a copy of a circular distributed by IS in a mosque in the city of al- Raqqa. They said that it explains “ Allah’s rules and hodud” (Hodud are the Islamic punishments carried out against someone who commit a deadly sins). The circular states “Islamic State believes in Allah almighty, who revealed the Quraa, and denies the United Nations which fights Allah, and due to we disbelieve of the rules legislated by human beings we promise Allah almighty to carry out his Sharia (law) on his land among his worshipers even though the Unbelievers may detest (it).
The circular continues “We clarify Allah’s Hodud for people by mentioning the sin and its punishment as follows:
- The punishment of insulting Allah is the death.
- The punishment of insulting the prophet is the death even though the person repent.
- The punishment of insulting Islam is the death.
- The punishment of adultery is to stone the married person to death and to whip the single person 100 whips and exile for 1 year.
- The punishment of sodomy is to kill both men who do this sin.
- The punishment of thievery is to cut the person’s hand.
- The punishment of drinking alcoholic is the whip of 80 whips.
- The punishment of accusing somebody of adultery is the whip of 80 whips.
- The punishment of spying for the sake of unbelievers is the killing.
- The punishment of apostasy is the death.
(This needs circulation. It is the inevitable end game of the conquest of territory under islam. The Shiia version differs in the most subtle of ways. People need to understand this, and that the process of determining guilt etc. are even more problematic than the punishments or the nature of the crimes.)