H/T EDL Buck
- Shafak Hussain, 36, took advantage of regular passenger Gill Holland
- After tricking woman she gave him £4 tip which he thanked her for
- Victim described going to court as ‘harrowing’ and said she was still ‘upset’
- Hussain was taking her back to her home in Oldham from hospital
- Found guilty by magistrates and given four-month suspended sentence
PUBLISHED: 16:22 GMT, 14 January 2013 | UPDATED: 17:09 GMT, 14 January 2013
A blind woman conned by a callous taxi driver who duped her out of £300 has described her anguish at being taken advantage of.
Gill Holland, 51, asked taxi driver Shafak Hussain to help her withdraw cash from an ATM to pay her fare – but he sneakily retrieved £300 rather than the £30 she had asked for.
The spinster revealed that Hussain had even thanked her when she gave him a tip of £4, on top of the £14 fare, at the end of the journey.
Miss Holland said that she had hoped Hussain’s sentence would not be ‘so lenient’ after he walked away from court with a four-month suspended sentence, having been ordered to pay the money back.
Talking about her ‘harrowing’ experience of going to court to confront the driver, Miss Holland said she was driven to act so that 36-year-old Hussain could not repeat the crime.
Miss Holland, who was travelling with her guide dog Glen at the time of the incident, said: ‘This wasn’t about the money, it was just about getting justice and to let other people know and make them more aware there car be people like that out there.’