Muslim too busy dealing crack to have raped 10 year old girl. Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA-A man accused of raping a 10-year-old girl testified Tuesday he couldn’t have committed the crimes because he was too busy selling crack cocaine.

Samuel Nana-Effah said allegations that he digitally penetrated the girl and had her perform oral sex before repeatedly engaging in intercourse with her while she was being babysat by his sister were “lies.”

According to Mr. Nana-Effah, he couldn’t have committed the acts because he would leave his sister’s house within 30 minutes to an hour of getting out of bed to go downtown and sell crack.

Mr. Nana-Effah testified he would typically wake up at 11:30 a.m. or noon and briefly leave his sister’s house to smoke marijuana.

He would then change his clothes before heading to “crackhouses” near Bank Street to sell the drugs.

He didn’t typically return to his sister’s house until 2:30 a.m., he said.

“I would go back outside and do what I do. Sell crack cocaine,” said Mr. Nana-Effah, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching on the girl, who suffers from a mild developmental delay.

In a taped statement given to police in 2006 and in testimony over closed-circuit television Monday, the girl said the sexual abuse began in July 2005 after Mr. Nana-Effah massaged her back and asked her about sex. In the subsequent days, she said, Mr. Nana-Effah digitally penetrated her vagina and kissed her on the mouth.

Eventually he told her to remove her pants and underwear and get into his bed, where he had intercourse with her. It happened a total of four times, she testified.

Court heard the girl was being cared for by Mr. Nana-Effah’s sister in her Orléans home during the last week of July and first week of August 2005 when the girl’s regular caregiver was away on holidays.

The girl said she was embarrassed and scared and didn’t tell anyone about what happened for a year. That’s when her caregiver overheard the girl telling her friends about the sexual encounters and reported it to her mother, who called police.

Testifying in a barely audible whisper that prompted Ontario Superior Court Justice Timothy Ray to repeatedly ask him to speak louder, Mr. Nana-Effah said he was never alone with the girl.

Mr. Nana-Effah, who is six-foot-five and weighs nearly 240 pounds, said the only time he would see the girl was before he headed out to spend the entire day selling drugs.

“So you’d spend 14 hours outside of the house to sell drugs?” asked assistant Crown attorney Jacqueline Loignon on cross-examination, before suggesting to Mr. Nana-Effah that he didn’t leave the house until much later in the day. It was during that time, Ms. Loignon suggested, that Mr. Nana-Effah was “bored” and “initiated (the girl) into sex.”

“No, I didn’t,” said Mr. Nana-Effah.

Mr. Nana-Effah’s sister, Renna, agreed that her brother was rarely home during the day.

“He gets up and he is gone,” she said, adding the girl was always with her and never left alone in the basement, where her brother’s bedroom was.

Earlier in the day, court heard from a doctor who examined the girl in July 2006 for any signs of vaginal trauma.

Dr. Susan Bennett testified she did not find any evidence an assault had occurred, although that is not uncommon in cases where the abuse isn’t reported for an extended period of time.

Court also heard from the girl’s mother, who testified that her daughter never expressed any concerns to her about Mr. Nana-Effah or staying at his sister’s house.

About Eeyore

Canadian artist and counter-jihad and freedom of speech activist as well as devout Schrödinger's catholic

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *