- Just 44.9% of Londoners are White British, according to census data
- 7.5million residents of England and Wales were foreign-born in 2011
- Census data reveal just 59% now call themselves Christian as a quarter say they have no religion and 5% are Muslim
- Less than 90% of country is white for the first time ever
- Home ownership declines but more people have paid off their mortgages
- Marriage rate dips to record low as fewer than half are hitched
By Hugo Gye
PUBLISHED: 05:39 EST, 11 December 2012 | UPDATED: 14:43 EST, 11 December 2012
White British people are now in a minority in London for the first time, it emerged today as census data revealed that the immigrant population of England and Wales went up by 3million over the past decade.
Just 3.7million Londoners described their ethnicity as ‘White British’ in 2011 – down from 4.3million in 2001, and making up 44.9 per cent of the city’s population.
It is believed to be the first time that British whites have become a minority in any region of the UK.
Another major change to the nation came in the decreasing number of Christians – 4million fewer people claimed to belong to the faith as a quarter of Britons said they had no religion.
H/T EDL Buck