- Illiterate mother-of-four, 39, was hired as a maid but treated like a slave
- Aleemuddin Mohammed and wife Shamina Yousuf accused of assaulting the victim before forcing her to live with their in-laws
- Partner of Mohammed’s mother Enkarta Balapovi then ‘raped the woman’
- Victim was then taken in by family friend Shashi Obhrai who is also accused of assaulting her
- During her six years serving the five defendants, she was paid £2,364
PUBLISHED: 17:56 GMT, 19 February 2013 | UPDATED: 23:02 GMT, 19 February 2013
An Indian domestic worker was repeatedly raped and beaten by her employers who threatened to murder her if she complained, a court heard.
The 39-year-old vulnerable and illiterate mother-of-four was used as a ‘sexual toy’ and ‘general dogsbody’ by an extended family and their friend who forced her to become their slave for a total of six years.
She was scalded with boiling water, burned with a hot iron, beaten and threatened her throat would be cut and her body buried in a back garden if she didn’t do as she was told, a jury were told today.
Despite the woman approaching numerous agencies for help, Croydon Crown Court heard how the abuse continued.
Employers: A court heard that Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, and his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, assaulted the woman and paid her just £24 during the two years and eight months she ‘worked as their slave’