State of emergency in Egyptian cities following new violence

H/T Hermes

DW.De

Mourners attend the funerals of 33 people who died on Saturday, during clashes provoked by a court verdict on a deadly stadium disaster last year, in Port Said January 27, 2013. An Egyptian man was killed in Port Said on Sunday during the funerals, a hospital official in the Mediterranean port said. REUTERS/Stringer

Egypt

State of emergency in Egyptian cities following new violence

President Mohammed Morsi has declared a state of emergency in three Egyptian cities after new violence. At least six people were killed and hundreds injured in the canal city of Port Said during clashes with police.

In a televised address Sunday evening, Morsi declared a state of emergency in Port Said, Suez and Ismailia. The three cities will have a curfew imposed “for 30 days starting at midnight (2200 GMT Sunday)” the president said.

“I find the nation facing dangers, I will have to take stricter measures. This is my duty,” said Morsi.

The president also invited Egypt’s opposition forces to a dialogue starting on Monday.

Unrest in Port Said

Crowds tried to storm three police stations Sunday and others torched an army social club, looting items inside, security officials said.

One of victims was an 18-year-old male who died of gunshot wounds to the chest Port Said’s head of hospitals, Abdel Rahman Farag, told the Reuters news agency.

Click to continue:

About Eeyore

Canadian artist and counter-jihad and freedom of speech activist as well as devout Schrödinger's catholic

7 thoughts on “State of emergency in Egyptian cities following new violence

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*